The State of Wyoming enacted five trail-blazing blockchain bills during its 2018 legislative session that garnered international attention. The WyoHackathon 2018 provides an opportunity for the global blockchain community and the State of Wyoming to converge, thank each other, collaborate, and keep Breakin' Through.
Wyoming has a rich history of Breakin' Through! Wyoming has a long record of being first: The first woman to vote in the US, the first female governor, the first national park, and the first LLC law. And it blazed a trail in blockchain, becoming the first elected body to recognize utility tokens as a new form of property that is neither securities nor money under Wyoming law. Wyoming offers blockchain businesses its most favorable tax, business entity, and privacy protections.
Join 300-400 developers from all over the world in this hackathon. With the help of our sponsors, we will be able to offer an engaging workspace, workshops, and prizes as well as food, drinks, and giveaways.
Confirmed Guest Speakers Include:
- Joseph Lubin - Founder, Consensys and Co-Founder, Ethereum
- Patrick Byrne - Founder & CEO, Overstock.com and Executive Chairman, tZERO
- Jeff Garzik - Co-Founder, Bloq
- Ken Hodler - Chief Engineer, Key Hodler LLC
- George Weiksner - 12 year old CEO, Pocketful of Quarters
- Caitlin Long - Wyoming Blockchain Coalition
- G. Thomas Esmay - Director of Business Development, SingularDTV
- Daniel Riddell - Adviser, DECENT Foundation
- Dr. Robert MacInnis - CEO & Founder, ActiveAether
- Mark Gordon - Candidate for Governor of Wyoming
- Mary Throne - Candidate for Governor of Wyoming
- Others TBD
Confirmed Mentors Include:
- Kirk Dameron - Geomehme Vorf, ConsenSys
- Viktor Bunin - Token Designer, Token Foundry
- Matthew Garnett - Full stack engineer, Bounties Network
- Chris Smith - Blockchain and API Lead, Meridio
- Eric Tu - Blockchain software developer, ConsenSys
- G. Thomas Esmay - Director of Business Development, SingularDTV
- Mae Smith - Strategy and Business Development Coordinator, SingularDTV
- Aaron Steinberg - Manager, Business Development, SingularDTV
- Daniel Riddell - Adviser, DECENT Foundation
- Denis Carriere - Co-Founder, CTO, & Head of Blockchain Block Producer Infrastructure, EOS Nation
- Gabriel Cordona - Founder, BITBOX; Sr. Developer, Bitcoin.com
- Anantha Krishnan - Founder / Chief Executive Officer, Aicumen Technologies Inc.
- Karthik Balasubramanian - Founder / Chief Business Officer, Aicumen Technologies Inc.
- Paul Quigley - CEO, Bloclab Enterprises
- Conrad Benham - Senior Software Engineer, ActiveAether
- Jeff Teo - Professor of Cybersecurity, Bluefield College
- Dustin Goodwin - Co-Founder, Opolis
Schedule (All Times MDT):
Friday, Sep 7 // Introductions and Team Formations - Opening Ceremony
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM - Registration. Sign-in, loot up with badges and swag, then check out the challenges to prep for a great weekend hacking with top developers.
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM - Dinner & Opening Night Reception. Meet, greet and eat with the who’s who, speakers, mentors and developers from around the world.
8:00 PM - 9:00 PM - Opening Ceremony, Sponsor Keynote. Join the excitement and hear Jeff Garzik speak as you brainstorm your strategy for winning the hackathon.
9:00 PM - 9:30 PM – Sponsor Challenges
9:30 PM – 11:00 PM - Team Formation. Drinks and Snacks. Fuel up and hydrate, then start your first long night architecting and developing your winning submittal.
All Night - Hacking. Hack Til Dawn and keep going. Survival of the fittest. Sleep is for babies!! Power nap on the cots if you must.
Saturday, Sep 8 // Hacking all day!
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM - Breakfast. Get your grub on! Calories are starting to count. Nail your proof-of-concept.
9:30 AM – 1:00 PM - Sponsor Workshops. Ultimate freedom for geeks like us — to learn, experiment, build and master the latest technology; or learn the new WY blockchain/crypto laws. Mentor office hours
12:30 PM – 2:00 PM - Lunch. Fuel up, meet up, check out the competition, grab some swag from sponsors while picking their brains for the win.
2:00 PM - 3:30 PM - Keynotes & Fireside Chat with Joe Lubin. Hear the latest and greatest from the man himself, Joseph Lubin, Co-Founder of Ethereum
3:30 PM – 6:00 PM – Mentor Office Hours
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM - Dinner. Dinner on the blockchain, is there a DApp for that?
All Night - Hacking.
Sunday, Sep 9 // Judging and Prizes - Closing Ceremony
8:00 AM - 9:00 AM - Breakfast. Coffee and Monster to power through to your final submittal.
9:30 AM – 12:30 PM Mentor Office hours polish up that pitch!
11:00 AM - Hacking Stops. Wait, wait, I just have this one last line of code; DING! Commit it.
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM - Lunch. Eating on the go as you polish up that preso.
12:00 PM – 2:25 PM - Line up of Speakers, Patrick Byrne, George Weiksner, Dr. MacInnis, Arie Ley-Cohen, Joe Lubin, Chris Kilroy, Mary Throne, Mark Gordon. LIVE STREAM LINK
2:25 PM – 4:00 PM – Present your challenge & Judging. The moment of truth, your baby, your heart and soul — judged on the merit, effort and sweat. LIVE STREAM LINK
4:20 PM - Winners Circle! LIVE STREAM LINK
4:45 PM - 6:30 PM - Celebration and Networking Reception. Collect your money, and party hearty, high fives and goodbyes before you jump on your plane home.
University of Wyoming, Memorial Fieldhouse, Adjacent to War Memorial Stadium West Stands, Laramie, WY 82070 USA
Laramie Regional Airport (LAR)
2 flights daily between Denver (DEN) and Laramie (LAR), 20 minute flight
Green Ride Shuttle (More Information)
Departs Denver International Airport (DEN) every 2 hours and 20 minutes from 8:10 a.m. to 1:10 am.
Driving distance from Denver International Airport (DEN)
2 hours 35 minutes
WHAT TO DO, WHERE TO EAT
WHERE TO STAY
Are you coming from out of town and need to book a hotel? To book, you must call the hotel directly. Each person attending the WyoHackathon is responsible for their own accommodations. The University of Wyoming is not responsible for any charges incurred during your stay.
- Comfort Inn, 1655 Centennial Dr, Laramie, WY 82070, 307-742-6665
- Econo Lodge, 1370 N McCue St, Laramie, WY 82072, 307-745-8900
- Hampton Inn, 3715 Grand Ave, Laramie, WY 82070, 307-742-0125
- Hilton Garden Inn, 2229 Grand Ave, Laramie, WY 82070, 307-745-5500
- Laramie Valley Inn, 1104 S 3rd St, Laramie, WY 82070, 307-742-4200
- Quality Inn, 3420 Grand Ave, Laramie, WY 82070, 307-721-8856
- Why Wyoming (Open to General Public) - Hear from and talk with our panel about "Why Wyoming", how the Business Council can help, and to highlight BeefChain as a use case for blockchain companies succeeding in Wyoming. Sponsored by Wyoming Business Council and BeefChain. (Saturday, September 8, 2018, 11:30 AM - 12:15 PM - Live Stream Link)
- So you want to join the blockchain revolution? Wyoming’s trail-blazing blockchain bills and the path forward (Open to General Public) - Join lawyers from Holland & Hart LLP and local lawmakers to learn about Wyoming’s historic blockchain legislation and the resulting business environment. Learn the issues facing you, your technology, and your company as you try to thrive under these laws, including launching or moving your business, protecting intellectual property, raising capital, and litigating disputes. Explore the potential future direction and impact of these laws and what may be on the horizon. And learn how the technology that led to these laws is changing the practice of law itself. (Saturday, September 8, 2018, 10:30 AM - 11:15 AM - Live Stream Link)
- dApp Tokit - SingularDTV will be doing a workshop around the dApp Tokit (https://tokit.io/). This is SingularDTV’s rights management and tokenization gateway. We will discuss the entertainment industry, the inter-workings of tokenization, smart contract systems, and rights, revenue, royalty management, and challenges within the SingularDTV ecosystem. (Saturday, September 8, 2018, 10:30 AM - 11:15 AM)
- Solidity 101 - Get started with the most popular programming language for smart contracts on Ethereum. Learn Solidity syntax, patterns, best practices, and how to interact with your smart contracts from your dApp. Workshop led by Chris Smith and Matthew Garnett of ConsenSys. (Saturday, September 8, 2018, 9:30 AM - 10:15 AM)
- Experience the adChain Registry, the First Token-Curated Registry (TCR) on the Ethereum Mainnet! - Description: Take part in a live demo of the adChain Registry dapp with Director of Strategic Initiatives at MetaX, Hunter Gebron! The adChain Registry is a community-curated list of ad-supported websites (domains) designed for the digital advertising industry. Within the Registry, members use adToken (ADT) to include or reject applied domains based on community guidelines and specific ad ops metrics. Hunter will deep dive into token weighted voting and share more about MetaX and their experience building the first TCR in the blockchain space. (Saturday, September 8, 2018, 11:30 AM - 12:15 PM - Live Stream Link)
Creating Dapps Using a Stablecoin - Using a stablecoin like Dai as the medium of exchange or store of value in a dapp has many benefits, and in this talk developers at Makerdao will show you how to quickly add Dai to your smart contracts or web3 project. (Saturday, September 8, 2018, 1:30 PM - 2:15 PM - Live Stream Link)
- BITBOX and the BCH Stress Test - Want to create amazing blockchain apps and change the world with Bitcoin Cash? Bitcoin.com's new developer platform has everything you need to go from idea to app 10x faster than the competition. Learn about how by leveraging BITBOX, the Bitcoin Cash network recently set records processing 2.2 million transactions on the first ever Stress Test Day. Presented by Gabriel Cardona. (Saturday, September 8, 2018, 9:30 AM - 10:15 AM - Live Stream Link)
- Banking the Blockchain (Open to General Public) - Join the conversation about the intersection of blockchain business and banking. Discuss the challenges and opportunities when new technologies intersect with age-old laws and regulations. Learn what Wyoming is doing to bridge this divide from a regulator’s and practitioner’s perspective. Presented by Albert Forkner and Richard Slater. (Saturday, September 8, 2018, 12:30 PM - 1:15 PM - Live Stream Link)
- Mining Bitcoin & Other Cryptos - Truths and Untruths from a Pioneer in Industrial-Scale Mining. Presented by Marshall Long. (Saturday, September 8, 2018, 12:30 PM - 1:15 PM)
JOIN OUR CHANNELS
Did you know? You don't have to be a developer to attend the WyoHackathon on Sept. 7-9! The University of Wyoming event is open to anyone who is interested in business-building challenges or blockchain, including project managers, designers, development specialists, etc. Hear from Joseph Lubin (ConsenSys and Ethereum), attend a workshop on Wyoming’s blockchain laws and meet other forward-thinking people!
We welcome applicants of all backgrounds. Please provide a 2-3 sentence description of your experience when you register and our volunteer engineers will respond after reviewing your application.
$83,436 in prizes
Best Use of Technology
3 ETH for the ConsenSys Challenge - $750 Value
Build a dApp or a project using the Ethereum Blockchain. Here are the guidelines we suggest you follow :
1) Blockchain Disruption and Project Design: A thought - provoking idea that tackles an existing problem
2) Ethereum Development : Incorporates basic blockchain tools such as Metamask, Infura, etc.
3) Explores concepts that are currently still being researched (eg. Token Curated Registry (TCR) , Token Standards, ENS domains, etc.)
SingularDTV Challenge - $5,000 Value
We are pleased to announce that our prize will be tickets to Our Music Festival (OMF), the first blockchain-powered music festival, scheduled for October in San Francisco. Our prize will include flights and hotels for the winning team.
Best for Wyoming Challenge - Best new idea deploying blockchain to benefit Wyomingites - $8,000 + 1 Yr Rent-Free Office Space ($5,000 value) + Corporate Registration ($750 value) + Marketing Video ($5,000 value)
* This challenge awards the person or team who proposes the best new, executable idea using blockchain to benefit Wyomingites. Bonus points if it uses any of the 5 blockchain bills passed by the Wyoming legislature during the 2018 session!
* Wyoming Technology Business Center (WTBC) Laramie is pleased to offer up to 1 year of rent-free space in their building to the winning team(s). (Value $5,000)
* JAM Escrow Services, LLC will give a free corporate registration to the winner. This includes initial registration fee and one year of registered agent services (value is $750).
* The video team, Visceral Art LLC, agreed to offer the winning team in the Wyoming Business Challenge, a promotional 3min video and photo package for their business valued at $5K. Redemption within 1yr of Hackathon. Single location shoot anywhere between Laramie and Denver.
3 ETH for the BullPay Challenge - $750 Value
Creating a wallet can be a time-consuming process. But where does the bulk of that time reside? To build a wallets functionality, the bulk of your time is going to be spent on setting up your node and sync’ing it. Longhorn helps you skip that entire process. Just generate a wallet address, use Longhorn to detect transactions, and send raw signed transactions to Longhorn for processing.
DECENT Challenge - $2500+ Worth of DCT
Using our DCore Blockchain, build the best dApp or project for 1 of the following topics:
1. Create an event ticketing system
2. Create a video publishing/redistribution app
* The challenge prize will be 20,000 DCT for the winning team. In case two separate teams complete the challenge for different topics, the prize will be split equally. In case two separate teams complete the challenge for the same topic, a DECENT representative will judge and decide the winner. For info on DCore, visit https://docs.decent.ch"
MakerDAO DAI Prize - $3,000 worth of DAI
The prize will be split between teams with the best use of DAI in their project.
MetaX Presents the adChain Challenge - Winner Receives a Ledger Blue valued @ $270 & 2 ETH
*Challenge: Create an add on or service for the adChain Publisher Registry (https://publisher.adchain.com) that adds value to the dapp.
- Example of value add:
and from the dapp, etc.
- Example of add on or service
1.Biggest benefit to the adChain Publisher Registry
2.Design is easy to use, created with dapp user in mind
3.Scalability of add on or service
*Tools: Google Chrome Browser, MetaMask Extension If you want to use the Testnet version:
*Site: https://sandbox-publisher.adchain.com Get Test adToken:
-Rinkeby ADT Faucet: https://faucet.adtoken.com/
*Get Test Ether:
-Rinkeby ETH Faucet: https://faucet.rinkeby.io/
Best Government Blockchain Solution Challenge Presented by Global Blockchain Summit
As part of the support for the Government Blockchain Association, The Global Blockchain Summit will offer up to 4 Global Blockchain Summit passes to the Fall Summit to the winning team that submits the best blockchain solution for Government at any level of government (e.g. Federal, State, or Local).
The EOS Tribe #WyoHackathon Challenge - $2,000 USD
- A front-end web form where the user can either generate EOS key pair or enter pre-generated keys (private key is never sent over the wire and discarded promptly after user backs it up).
- Enter 12 characters long account name, validate that account name is available.
- Collect user email address as well for order notifications.
- After submitting account name and public key - the user is taken into payment screen.
- The amount will be pre-calculated based on EOS price and minimum amount staked for resources.
- After successful payment is made - the order is queued in a database and executed by a backend process to create the new account.
- After successful completion - an email notification is dispatched to the user notifying them of account creation.
- In case of error - an email notification is also sent to email@example.com to look into the issue.
- Should the EOS creator fund account run out of EOS funds for the new account creation - the application should display an appropriate message on the new account form and stop accepting new account applications until creator account is funded again.
ShapeShift Challenge for Wyoming Hackathon
*ShapeShift challenges Wyoming Hackathon participants to build projects that use the pricing data api that it part of CoinCap. You can use the API to get historical and current prices for over 500 cryptocurrencies and over 100 fiat currencies. Each member of the top three projects that use the CoinCap API will receive a KeepKey hardware wallet.
*Each team member of the groups that has one of the top three most interesting uses of pricing data will receive a KeepKey hardware wallet.
*Documentation for the CoinCap API can be found at
ActiveAether Challenge - $20,000 worth of FogCoin
*ACTIVEAETHER’S $20K FOGCOIN GIVEAWAY!
*We’re giving away $20k in FogCoin for use in ActiveAether’s serverless fog computing platform! All you need to do is upload your code and tell end users how to call it, and ActiveAether will deploy, scale and un-deploy automatically according to end user demand.
*INFORMATION AND JUDGING CRITERIA:
We’ll select the winners we think provide the most compelling use of the ActiveAether platform. Here are some things to keep in mind when thinking of what services you’d want to run in ActiveAether:
• ActiveAether is a fog computing platform: it can leverage compute anywhere. Unlike far-away cloud datacenters, it’s excellent for applications that need low latency like IoT, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and more.
• ActiveAether is serverless computing: you don’t need to worry about when or where your services are deployed, you just focus on what they do. Simply upload your code and ActiveAether deploys to optimal hosts only when there’s demand. Our users never pay for compute they don’t need. (Hint: ActiveAether provides functionality similar to what you’d find with AWS Lambda, Azure Functions, Google Cloud Functions, etc.)
• ActiveAether compute is supplied by Hosts all over the world who earn FogCoin on computers that would otherwise be sitting idle, so the cost of compute in ActiveAether is incredibly competitive, with zero vendor lock in.
1. Register at https://publishers.activeaether.com/
2. Write and upload your service to ActiveAether. Detailed instructions here: https://go.activeaether.com/WyoHackResources
3. Complete the quick form to briefly explain the real-world impact of your service and provide us the URL to call your service: https://go.activeaether.com/wyohackcompetition
We’ll test each of the services and will select the winners we think provide the most compelling use of the ActiveAether platform! Prizes will be awarded as follows:
• 1st place: $10k of FogCoin
• 2nd place: $5k of FogCoin
• 5 honorable mention winners: $1k of FogCoin
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
How to enter
You must pre-register for this hackathon on our Eventbrite WyoHackathon 2018 page, there will be no registration at the door allowed. Clicking the "Register for this hackathon" button above right on the DevPost website does not register you for this hackathon, you must pre-register here.
Registration Deadline: September 5, 2018 at 11:59 P.M. Mountain Time
Registration Limited to 400 participants, RESERVE YOUR SPOT TODAY, click here!
Co-Founder @ Ethereum & Founder @ ConsenSys
Chief Strategic Officer @ SingularDTV
Adviser @ DECENT Foundation
CEO @ BullPay
Global CRO @ MetaX
Co-Founder, CTO and Head of Blockchain Block Producer Infrastructure @ EOS Nation
Co-Founder @ Stealth Blockchain Startup
Yev Muchnik, Esq.
Founder @ ESQLegal
CEO @ WorkCoin
Blockchain Engineer @ MakerDAO
Senior Software Developer @ Happy Jack Software
Co-Founder @ NODE Haven
Co-Founder @ Global Blockchain Summit
Chief Strategist @ Government Blockchain Association
Michael 'Indy' Astleford
Director, SOCOM @ Government Blockchain Association
Co-Founder @ EOS.fish
Sr. Architect @ EOS.fish
Founder @ EOS Tribe
Curtis Roberts, Esq.
Attorney @ The Founder's Attorney
Candidate for Governor for Wyoming
Candidate for Governor of Wyoming
President @ Halcyon Innovation, LLC.
CEO @ Bloclab Enterprises
Co-Founder @ Digital Asset Trade Association
Found & CEO @ chainhaus
Dr. Robert MacInnis
Founder & CEO @ ActiveAether
Biggest Wyoming Impact
Biggest Wyoming Impact
Best/Most Creative Pitch
Best/Most Creative Pitch
Best Use of Technology
Best Use of Technology